Personal preference and prerogatives would always come into play when one has to buy a gaming console. There are millions of fans of Nintendo games consoles, PlayStations and Xboxes. Without catering to the fans’ desires or criticisms, here is an un-opinionated technical comparison of the three.
- PS4 and Xbox One come at a price of $399.99. Nintendo Wii U is priced at $299.99 with another version priced at $349.99.
- PS4 and Xbox One have Blu-ray/DVD optical drives while Wii U has a 25 GB Optical Disc. The Sony and Microsoft models come with 8GB GDDR5 and 8GB DDR3 respectively while Wii U possesses 2GB DDR3 RAM.
- PS4 comes with single-chip x86 AMD “Jaguar” processor having 8 cores, Xbox One comes with 8 Core Microsoft custom CPU and Nintendo Wii U comes with Tri-Core PowerPC “Espresso” CPU.
- PS4 has an AMD Radeon Graphics Core Next engine w/ 1152 shaders, Xbox One has an 853 MHz AMD Radeon GPU w/ 768 shaders and Nintendo Wii U has an AMD “Latte” 550 MHz GPU w/ 320 shaders.
- Sony offers 500 GB 5400 RPM SATA II hard drive; Microsoft offers 500 GB and Nintendo Wii U offers the choice of 8GB or 32GB Flash storage. Sony doesn’t have any external storage. Microsoft and Nintendo offer external storage via USB.
- Sony and Microsoft don’t offer backwards compatibility but Nintendo does so. With Wii U one can play old games that were available on earlier Nintendo games consoles.
- Sony offers DualShock 4 controllers, Microsoft puts forth the Xbox One Wireless Controller and Nintendo offers the Wii U GamePad, Wii Remote, Nunchuk and Pro Controller.
- For motion control, Sony has the DualShock 4 and the optional PlayStation 4 Eye, Microsoft has Kinect 2 and Nintendo has the Wii Remote and Wii U GamePad.
- PS4 has 2 USB 3.0 ports, Xbox One has 3 USB 3.0 ports and Wii U has 4 USB 2.0 ports. PS4 has Bluetooth 2.1. Xbox One doesn’t have Bluetooth. Wii U has Bluetooth 4.0.
- Sony and Microsoft require paid subscriptions for online game play whereas Nintendo Wii U doesn’t charge anything, it is free. Sony and Microsoft charge for web browser access. It is free with Nintendo Wii U.
The aforementioned technical comparison is not exhaustive and it does not account for any promised upgrades or changes in any of the Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo games consoles