Are you struggling to stay healthy? Well, there’s a unique diet plan out there that you may want to try. Why is it unique, you ask? Well, because its basic principle is that it is a varied diet; you do what you do in order to lose weight. Wait, what?
I am talking about the Ornish diet. The aim of the Ornish diet is to do different things in order to achieve a health goal. Want to lose weight? Eat healthy and do more exercise. Want to have a healthy heart? Do more aerobic exercises and minimize cholesterol intake. Basically, this is a varied diet because it totally varies depending on your health and fitness goals.
So, who made this spectacular idea for a diet? The proponent for this diet is Dr. Dean Ornish, MD. The Ornish diet is a heart-healthy diet because it consists mostly foods that Vegans would eat. This is a mostly vegetarian diet with the inclusion of exercise and yoga for an overall healthy living.
What do you need to do to follow the Ornish diet? Here are the basic principles you must remember when you want to follow the Ornish Diet:
- Eat all the beans, legumes, fruits, grains, and vegetables you need to feel full.
- Eat dairy low- or nonfat dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt in moderation. Only 10 percent of your calories should come from fat.
- Avoid meats (red and white), oils and products containing oils, including avocados, olives, nuts, seeds, full-fat dairy, and sugar.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes five times a week or 60 minutes three times a week.
- Manage stress with yoga and meditation and by spending time with your loved ones.
- Kick unhealthy habits such as smoking or drinking alcohol in excess.
- Eat smaller meals more often to combat hunger, but be careful not to overeat because you’re eating more often.
One of the main principles of the Ornish diet is that you will have to consume as little or no fat at all. This is because, according to Dr. Ornish, Fat is denser than protein or Carbohydrates. Excess fat intake would lead to arterial blockage and thus, will ultimately lead to heart disease.
The Ornish diet has been scientifically proven as one of the most heart-healthy diets out there, but a lot of people may have trouble sticking with this diet. This is because the foods that you will eat will consist mostly of vegetables, and meats are highly discouraged.
Furthermore, people are sometimes lazy to do exercises, and the Ornish diet recommends that you do 30-minutes of exercise for 5 times a week. The Ornish diet can also be rather expensive as vegetables in some states can be more costly than meats.
Still, the Ornish diet is a diet plan that will make your heart healthy. It is one of the only few diets that has a really positive impact on your heart health and overall well-being. So, if you want to try out a diet plan, the Ornish diet can be a good place to start.